Cold Game Wrap
Cold Game Wrap
The cold game wrap was designed by Holly-Jane Howell of Russetpeak Gundogs, also known for their @walkieswith_freya account on Instagram.
The wrap originated from a common challenge as a novice gundog handler, for which the cold game wrap has been a transformational solution. As a relative newcomer to gundog training Holly-Jane was surprised by how few products there were that supported cold game training. Holly-Jane’s HPR was a confident retriever with a strong hold, but was getting confused by game, as many dogs are. Holly-Jane reflects “You can see a lot of dogs thinking: Do I pick cold game by the head, the neck, a wing, a leg? Getting a good central hold can help a lot with a confident retrieve on game”. Some dogs may also be cautious when they are introduced to game, a canvas wrap acts as a good transitionary aid, acting as a helpful familiar texture while exposing the dog to game. This wrap can help:
- Dogs to learn a central hold from a young age on game.
- To give dogs a hold target for their retrieve that will help them to balance the weight of the bird in their mouth.
- To build dogs’ confidence on cold game.
- Dogs to transition from canvas to fur and feather in a gradual way, whilst still ensuring exposure to cold game.
- To brace the wings to build dogs confidence as they learn how to effectively hold game (the wrap can go over or under wings).
- To support dogs to be soft mouthed on game, unlike tights/stocking material that dogs can easily prick.
- Width approx. 4″, Length approx. 18″ – For use on all Game Birds.
The cold game wrap can be washed and cleaned after use, helping it to be a more sustainable and environmentally friendly solution than single-use tights/stockings. The cold game wrap can be adjusted to different sized birds and has been tested on birds ranging from woodpigeon to cock pheasants.
Sporting Saint are delighted to manufacturer the Cold Game Wrap and help Holly-Jane bring the product to the gundog market.